Short answer: Start with Google Alerts for keyword and brand monitoring, add Talkwalker Alerts as a free second opinion, and layer on Visualping for web-page changes, USGS for earthquakes, and IFTTT for everything else. Between them you can watch the whole web from your inbox without paying a cent.
I have leaned on email alerts for years to keep tabs on my own name, the topics I write about, and the handful of websites I check obsessively. Instead of refreshing pages, I let the alerts come to me. Below is the exact stack I use and recommend, updated for 2026 because a few of the old favourites have quietly shut down.
How do I set up Google Alerts properly?
Google Alerts is still the fastest way to monitor the web for a word or phrase. Go to google.com/alerts, type your search term, and before you hit create, click Show options. That panel is where the real power lives.
Here are the settings I change every single time:
- How often: I pick "At most once a day" so I get one digest instead of a firehose.
- Sources: leave it on Automatic, or narrow to News, Blogs, or Web if you are drowning.
- Language and Region: set these to cut out irrelevant foreign-language noise.
- How many: choose "Only the best results" to start, then switch to "All results" if you are missing things.
- Deliver to: your email, or an RSS feed if you prefer a reader.
My best tip that most guides skip: wrap exact phrases in quotes and use the minus operator to exclude junk. An alert for "your brand" -jobs -site:pinterest.com is dramatically cleaner than a bare keyword.
What is a good free alternative to Google Alerts?
Talkwalker Alerts is the one I run alongside Google. It is free, it catches results on news sites, blogs, and forums that Google sometimes misses, and the setup is nearly identical. Running both is like getting a second pair of eyes on the same keyword. For brand monitoring in particular, I have caught mentions in Talkwalker days before they showed up in Google Alerts.
If you also care about social platforms and comment sections, Mention monitors social media and commenting systems and focuses on fresh content published in the last day. It has a paid tier, but the free trial is enough to see whether social listening matters for you.
How do I get an email when a web page changes?
This is the alert type people underuse. Visualping lets you draw a box around any region of a page, then it emails you when that area changes. I use it for pages with no RSS feed at all: a competitor's pricing page, a job board, a government notice page, a concert ticket listing. You can set the sensitivity so a tiny tweak does not trigger it and only meaningful changes do.
Which alert services do I actually keep running?
Here is my current shortlist and what each one is good for. I dropped a few classics from the old version of this post because they shut down, and I noted the modern replacement.
| Service | What it alerts you about | Cost |
|---|---|---|
| Google Alerts | Any keyword, brand, or name across the web and news | Free |
| Talkwalker Alerts | Same idea, catches sources Google misses | Free |
| Visualping | Changes to a specific region of any web page | Free tier |
| USGS Earthquake Notifications | Seismic activity near a location you mark | Free |
| Wikipedia Watchlist | Edits to articles you follow (also as RSS) | Free |
| IFTTT | Weather, stock moves, RSS, and countless custom triggers | Free tier |
| DomainTools | Domain expiry, renewal, and WHOIS record changes | Paid |
How do I track prices, domains, and other niche things?
Amazon price drops
For product prices I no longer rely on standalone trackers that come and go. I add items to a wish list and pair Amazon with a tracker like CamelCamelCamel, which emails you when a watched item falls below a price you set. It is the cleanest way to buy hardware at the right moment.
Domain and WHOIS changes
If you own or watch domains, DomainTools alerts you when a monitored domain nears expiry, gets renewed, or when its WHOIS records change. If you want the full toolkit for investigating a site, I wrote a companion guide on the best online tools to know everything about a website.
Earthquakes and Wikipedia edits
The USGS Earthquake Notification Service emails you when quakes are reported near an area you draw on a map. And if a Wikipedia article matters to you, add it to your Watchlist and turn on email notifications so you know the moment someone edits it.
What about the old alert services that no longer work?
A quick honesty note, because the internet changes. Several tools I used to recommend, like Newsle, Brook, and Follow Your World, have shut down. Rather than send you chasing dead links, I have replaced them above with tools that are alive and maintained in 2026. If a service you loved disappears, the pattern to look for is the same: pick something free first, confirm it still delivers to your inbox, then decide if a paid tier is worth it.
Frequently asked questions
Is Google Alerts still worth using in 2026?
Yes. It remains the simplest free way to monitor the web for a keyword or brand, and pairing it with Talkwalker Alerts covers the sources it occasionally misses.
How do I monitor a web page that has no RSS feed?
Use Visualping. You highlight the exact region of the page you care about and it emails you when that area changes, with adjustable sensitivity so minor edits do not spam you.
Can I get email alerts for Amazon price drops?
Yes. Add the item to a wish list and use a price tracker such as CamelCamelCamel, which will email you when the product falls below a target price you set.
Are these alert services free?
Most of them are. Google Alerts, Talkwalker Alerts, the USGS earthquake service, and Wikipedia watchlists are free. Visualping and IFTTT have generous free tiers, while DomainTools and Mention charge for advanced features.
Go and visit https://www.ytviews.in// to increase YouTube views, likes, comments, and subscribers, Best website for YouTube marketing.
ReplyDelete