Short answer: for a salaried person in India, filing your ITR online now takes under an hour if you have your Form 16 ready. I file mine through ClearTax because it auto-fills most of my details from my PAN and Form 16, so I only review instead of typing everything. Here is my exact process for FY 2025-26 (AY 2026-27), including the deductions people most often miss.
Why I file early instead of waiting for the deadline
Filing early is the single easiest way to reduce tax-season stress. When you file early you avoid last-minute portal slowdowns, you get time to fix errors, and refunds land in your account sooner. Every year thousands of people wait until the final days, and that rush is exactly when mistakes and missed deductions happen.
Why I stopped filing manually
For years I either filed manually on the Income Tax portal or paid a Chartered Accountant. Both work, but manual entry is slow, picking the correct ITR form is confusing, and you have to pull numbers from Form 16, AIS, TDS statements, bank accounts and investments yourself. One small mismatch can trigger a notice. I wanted something that walked me through it step by step.
My step-by-step ITR filing process
- Create your account and select the correct financial year.
- Auto-fetch details by entering your PAN. Name, date of birth and address usually import automatically.
- Upload Form 16 if you are salaried. The platform reads your salary, employer details and TDS.
- Add other income such as savings and FD interest, freelance income, capital gains or rent.
- Claim deductions under 80C (PPF, ELSS, LIC, EPF), 80D (health insurance), home loan benefits and NPS.
- Review your tax summary, taxable income, liability and refund, before submitting.
- E-verify using Aadhaar OTP or net banking to complete the return.
The deductions I used to miss
This is the non-obvious part. The year I switched, I realised I had been leaving money on the table by forgetting 80D health-insurance premiums and my NPS contribution. A guided tool that prompts you for each deduction category is worth it for this reason alone, not just the time saved.
Who this suits (and who should still see a CA)
Guided online filing works well for salaried employees, first-time taxpayers, and freelancers with straightforward income. If your situation is complex, with multiple businesses or serious tax planning, a professional is still the right call.
Save up to 65% on your filing plan
If you are filing this year, you can currently get up to 65% off eligible ClearTax plans through this link: claim the ClearTax discount. It is time-limited, and it makes assisted filing much more affordable.
Frequently asked questions
Can I file my ITR without a CA?
Yes. If your income is straightforward, a guided platform walks you through the whole filing process, from Form 16 upload to e-verification.
Is it safe to file ITR online?
Yes. Established platforms are used by millions of taxpayers and use secure e-verification through Aadhaar OTP or net banking.
Can Form 16 be uploaded directly?
Yes. You upload Form 16 and most salary and TDS information is extracted automatically, so you only review it.
When should I file my ITR?
As early as possible. Early filing avoids portal slowdowns, gives time to fix errors, and gets refunds to you sooner.
Comments
Post a Comment
If you have anything in mind, please let me know!