Short answer: The safest pairings put a distinctive font in the headings and a plain, highly readable font in the body. My reliable go-to combinations are Playfair Display with Source Sans 3, Montserrat with Merriweather, and Poppins with Inter, all free on Google Fonts.
Whenever I build a site, a resume, or a deck, the font pairing does more for the look than any colour choice. The good news is you do not need a design degree. A couple of principles and a shortlist of proven pairs cover almost everything.
What makes two fonts work together?
Two ideas carry most of the weight:
- Contrast, not conflict. Pair fonts that are clearly different, such as a serif with a sans-serif, so the reader sees a deliberate hierarchy rather than a near-miss that looks like a mistake.
- One font does the heavy reading. Headings can be expressive; body text must be calm and legible at small sizes. I never set long paragraphs in a display font.
A simple, foolproof approach is to use two weights of a single versatile family, like Inter Bold for headings and Inter Regular for body. It never clashes.
Which specific pairings do I actually use?
| Heading font | Body font | Feel | Good for |
|---|---|---|---|
| Playfair Display | Source Sans 3 | Elegant, editorial | Blogs, portfolios, magazines |
| Montserrat | Merriweather | Modern with a readable serif body | Marketing sites, long articles |
| Poppins | Inter | Clean, geometric, friendly | Apps, startups, dashboards |
| Lora | Roboto | Warm serif headline, neutral body | Corporate, documentation |
| Oswald | Open Sans | Bold, condensed impact | Landing pages, posters |
Playfair Display with Source Sans works because the high-contrast serif headline feels refined while the neutral sans body stays effortless to read. Montserrat with Merriweather flips the usual order, putting a geometric sans on top of a classic serif body, which reads beautifully in long text.
How do I actually add them to a project?
On a website
Grab the embed code from Google Fonts, then reference the families in CSS with h1, h2 { font-family: 'Playfair Display', serif; } and body { font-family: 'Source Sans 3', sans-serif; }.
In documents and slides
Google Docs and Slides list these fonts directly in the font menu. For PowerPoint or a local design app, download the family from Google Fonts and install the files, then pick them from the font list.
What tools help me choose faster?
When I want inspiration I browse Fontpair for curated combinations and Google Fonts Knowledge for the reasoning behind good typography. Note that many older pairing sites people still link to have gone offline, so I stick to sources that are actively maintained.
What is the tip most guides miss?
Limit yourself to two families and a small set of weights. Every extra font and weight is another file the browser downloads, which slows the page and, ironically, makes the design look busier, not richer. If I need more variety I add a third weight of a font I am already using rather than a whole new typeface. Two families, three or four weights, done.
Frequently asked questions
How many fonts should I use in one design?
Two is the sweet spot: one for headings and one for body. A third can work for small accents, but more than that usually looks disorganized and hurts performance.
Can I pair two serif or two sans-serif fonts?
Yes, but make sure they contrast in weight, width, or mood so the difference looks intentional. Pairing two similar sans-serifs is the most common mistake because it reads as an accident.
Are Google Fonts free for commercial use?
Yes. Google Fonts are open source and free to use in commercial websites, documents, and products. You can also download and install them locally.
Which font should carry the body text?
Choose the plainer, most readable font for body copy, such as Source Sans, Inter, Roboto, or Open Sans. Save the distinctive display font for headings only.
Comments
Post a Comment
If you have anything in mind, please let me know!