Short answer: you can learn to code for free, and the fastest working path is HTML and CSS first (so you see results immediately), then JavaScript, then one backend language like Python once you can already build a page. The sites below are the ones I actually trust. The order matters more than which "best language" you pick, and I will explain the one mistake that stalls most beginners.
The mistake that traps most beginners
It is not choosing the wrong language. It is tutorial hopping: watching course after course without ever building something of your own. I fell into this too. The fix that finally worked for me was a rule I still follow: for every hour of tutorial, spend an hour building something with no tutorial open. Type the code, break it, fix it. That struggle is where the learning actually happens.
The exact order I recommend
| Stage | Learn | Why now |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | HTML & CSS | Instant visual results keep you motivated |
| 2 | JavaScript | Makes your pages interactive; huge job market |
| 3 | Git & the command line | Every real project needs version control |
| 4 | Python (or a backend) | Automation, data, servers once you can build |
The free sites I actually trust
Start here (project-based)
freeCodeCamp is where I send almost every beginner. Fully free, project-based, with a real certification path.
MDN Learn Web Development is the reference the professionals use, written by the people who maintain the web platform.
JavaScript, done properly
- The Modern JavaScript Tutorial is the most complete free JS resource I know.
- Eloquent JavaScript is a free book I re-read; the exercises are what make it stick.
Python
- Automate the Boring Stuff is free online and the best "why coding is useful today" intro; the print edition is handy if you prefer paper.
- The official Python tutorial
Git (skip this and you will regret it)
- Learn Git Branching teaches version control visually and is genuinely fun.
How long it really takes
Being honest: getting comfortable enough to build small useful projects took me a few focused months, not a weekend. If you study an hour a day and build alongside it, you can have a real portfolio project in three to four months. Consistency beats intensity every time.
Frequently asked questions
Can you really learn to code for free?
Yes. freeCodeCamp, MDN, javascript.info and the official Python tutorial are all free and cover everything a beginner needs. Paid courses are optional.
Which programming language should I learn first?
Start with HTML and CSS for instant results, then JavaScript. Both run in your browser, need no setup, and lead directly to jobs.
How long does it take to learn to code?
With about an hour a day plus building your own projects, most people reach a usable portfolio project in three to four months.
Why do so many beginners give up?
Tutorial hopping. Watching courses without building anything yourself. For every hour of tutorial, spend an hour writing code with no tutorial open.
Comments
Post a Comment
If you have anything in mind, please let me know!